Combe Grove Accessibility Statement
Located within 70 acres of mature woodland and meadow in Bath, Combe Grove is a historic estate with the Main House dating back to the early 1700s.
Combe Grove, Brassknocker Hill, Bath, BA2 7HS
T 01225 838 680
Points to note
- We are on a steep hill and over half of our estate is woodland, thus there are steep slopes, steps and uneven surfaces throughout the grounds.
- We share our estate with wildlife including two endangered species of bat. We must take their needs into account when providing lighting, therefore it is advised to bring a torch in the hours of darkness should you require stronger lighting than we can provide.
- Many of our buildings are listed. We are working hard to restore the estate, engaging local artisans and training the next generation of craftspeople as we go. This renovation is not yet complete and we regret that we do not provide the same level of accessibility you may encounter in a modern building. We currently have very restricted access for wheelchair users.
- We may need to close the site for health and safety reasons in the event of high winds.
- Assistance dogs are welcome at all times. Please contact us ahead of your visit so we can plan how best to meet their needs. We do not permit non-assistance dogs to stay overnight.
- Other well-behaved dogs are welcome on leads in the Map and Stone Room. Water bowls are provided. Please ask for the location of the dog waste bin. Please do not exercise dogs off lead in our grounds, as this can cause distress to our wildlife. We reserve the right to exclude dog owners who do not follow these rules.
- We do not have lifts. In the event of an emergency evacuation, you may need to use steps, depending on where you are on the estate.
Arrival and parking information
- Parking is provided at the top of the site via the Claverton Down Road entrance. Users of this car park access the Coach House and Main House via two stairways. In total there are over 100 steps and it takes 5 minutes to reach the car park from the Main House. We are in the course of arranging a shuttle bus between the top car park, Main House and Coach House and Barn accommodation. Please check our website for availability.
- There is limited accessible parking in the bottom car park, with priority given to those displaying a blue badge. Spaces can be reserved on a first come first served basis by contacting 01225 838 680
- Clients on residential retreats will be notified of their bag drop and parking arrangements.
- We do not currently have accessible toilet facilities other than in the two adapted bedrooms.
- We have two bedrooms adapted for those with additional physical needs. Please contact us if you require the full details.
- You will encounter steps, steep gradients and uneven surfaces in our
- There may be holes from wildlife digging and heavy leaf fall in autumn.
- Lighting levels are set around the endangered bats’ needs for flight lines and dark skies, so you are advised to bring a torch to meet your personal need.
- We do not currently have sports facilities designed for accessibility.
- Users of our gym and swimming pools will encounter steps.
- The pool does not have a lifeguard.
- We aim to heat our indoor pools to 28c. The outdoor pool does not have a separate changing facility so warm clothing such as a robe is advised for walking to and from the indoor facilities.
Treatments and therapies
If you would like to book a treatment or therapy, please call us in advance to discuss any additional needs on 01225 838 680. Please see our website for the current offering and details of our practitioners.
Assistance for hearing impairment
We can provide a shaking smoke alarm pillow for clients with hearing impairment and we will shortly be fitting a hearing loop induction system in the Oak Room.
Please contact us to discuss any additional hearing support needs you may have.
Nutrition is central to what we do at Combe Grove. We can cater for vegan diets, lactose and gluten intolerance provided you contact us in advance so we can discuss your needs in full.
Please note that nuts are in regular usage in our kitchen and we cannot maintain a nut or dairy free environment, although we can provide food and drink which does not have nut or dairy as a named ingredient.
We celebrate all forms of diversity at Combe Grove.
We are exploring how we can best serve the needs of those who are not neurotypical. Please contact us to discuss adaptations which we may be able to make to cater for differences in learning style, sensory need and other neurodivergence.
We recognise the importance of emotional as well as physical wellness and are increasing our number of trained mental health first aiders.