Our Green Journey
With 64 acres of woodland to care for, nature and the environment are very close to our hearts and so we are committed to doing our utmost to protect it. Each new investment and decision is as green as we can make it and we want to make it easier for our guests and members to make green choices too.
Our ‘green journey’ has very much begun, here’s what’s happened so far…
- We have switched to a new energy supplier – Good Energy, based in Chippenham, are champions of clean, green, local energy. They match all the electricity used by their customers with electricity that they generate purely from wind, solar, hydro and biofuels in the UK, and send it back to the National Grid. They also buy renewable energy from local independent partners, such as The National Trust and Wyke Farms, meaning their customers are often never more than four miles from a generator.
- We are investing in new boilers – WS Swift, a local, family-run mechanical and electrical company replaced the inefficient boilers in the Manor House, with state of the art Worcester Bosch GB162 boilers, which are the most efficient in their category. Like us, they employ apprentices and are thoughtful of their contribution to the community and impact on the environment. WS Swift are training three apprentices, one of whom has been working with their team at Combe Grove to install the new boilers. Thank you, Matthew!
- Our kitchen source ingredients from local suppliers, who, like us, are committed to sustainability. Have a look at our seasonal menu and find out more about the local people and organisations we are very proud to be working with.
- We’ve installed new solar powered showers by our outdoor pool, which means we can harvest the energy provided by sunlight and use it to heat the water for your pre-and post-swim showers.
- We are working with the Green Stationery Company, also based in Bath, to source many of our recycled, ethically sourced and sustainable office supplies, including our BPA-free till rolls.
- Reusable cups and lunch boxes – Our new lunch table means that members and guests can eat in or take some home for supper in a recyclable box with biodegradable cutlery. We’re also encouraging everyone to bring their own reusable lunch boxes and cups for hot drinks.
- And of course, we recycle everything from scrap paper and bottle tops, to ink cartridges and cardboard boxes. All of our refuse sacks are degradable and our food waste bags are compostable.
To help us on our green journey, we’re working with Green Tourism, the world’s largest sustainable certification programme providing advice, and awarding accreditation for sustainability. Green Tourism look at energy and water efficiency, waste management and biodiversity and social and ethical choices. Our ambition is ‘going for gold’ accreditation within the next five years – watch this space for updates.